Do I Need A Visa To Visit Australia?

milsons-point-330400_640Australia should be on everyone’s “to do” list. Its’ scenery is inspiring, the people are interesting, and the culture is fascinating. It may seem like a far jaunt for a family vacation but the travel time will be worth the exhilarating trip.

However, it would be awful to arrive at the terminal gates only to be turned away because you did not organize your visa in time. In fact, unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will need to apply for a visa before you leave your home. Many travelers can apply for a range of visas- from tourist visas to working holiday visas, online or at the nearest Australian consulate.

There are a few important items of interest you should know before you waste your time filling out necessary online forms. These include:

  • Knowing what type of visa you need to enter the country.
  • Knowing what the application requirements are and having all necessary paperwork at the ready.
  • Knowing your obligations while touring Australia and understanding the importance of complying with your visa conditions.

If you are still unsure that you meet all the requirements necessary to obtain the correct visa, check out the Australian government’s Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s website. It will lay out for you, in great detail, every visa requirement and give you links to necessary forms.

Let’s break it down a little further.

Most travelers are going to need a simple Tourist Visa to get into the country. This visa is for people who want to visit Australia on a holiday for sightseeing, visiting family or relatives, or for short-term purposes that do not include any sort of work.

Even within this category there are several subclasses of Visitor Visas including:

  • ETA Visas that will classify relevant parties as short-term visitors that can stay for up to a total of three months.
  • eVisitors that have the authority to visit Australia for tourism and business purposes for up to three months.
  • Tourist Visa (Subclass 676) which allows the applicants to stay in Australia for three, six, or twelve month intervals.

People who wish to stay in Australia for longer than three months might apply for a Working Holiday Visa which allows the holder to obtain part-time employment while still touring and enjoying the sights. The Working Holiday (and Work and Holiday) program is particularly for young people, with no dependants, who want to stay in Australia for up to two years. The Australian government has produced materials that can help a young person find temporary housing and work for those who are eligible for this type of visa.

Beyond these travel visas, there are a whole host of other applications that families and students can fill out if they are looking to study or immigrate into the borders of Australia or New Zealand. If you have a complicated case or are unsure that you qualify for an Australian visa, it would be helpful to visit your local consulate to get advice. If you are looking for permanent residence, it is also a good idea to have an immigration lawyer on retainer to help you glide through the process.

But, if you are just traveling and looking for a good time, look no further than the Immigration Bureau’s website. It will guide you through all the necessary paperwork so that you can enjoy your holiday in a stress-free, beautiful environment.

Take a look at the YouTube video below from migration expert John Adams who explains what are the qualities that needed to be accepted by the Australian immigration department.